Tuesday, February 23, 2010
The Mason Duo are repsonsible for the Animal language releases, these releases are a twist on all modern genres that aims to put the fun back into dance music. The Mason sound follows medolic methods that inspire the thinking man on the dancefloor. The label is heading in the right direction with support from Dj Hell, Mylo and Carl Cox.
Syncrom; is an Italo influenced tune. The tune features an 80’s style riff of epic proportions, bonded together with a slick groove that Moroder would’ve been proud of. Initial reactions from Mason’s own DJ sets is that Syncrom is completely laying waste to dance floors everywhere from Belgium to Brazil.
The double A side is another un-predictable left turn for Animal Language. A tribute to our black and white mammalian friends, ‘The Badger’, is about as funky as it is possible to make a record. A massively infectious slap-bass line is aggressively cut up and welded onto a jacking beat complete with old school vocal snippets and stabs. ‘The Badger’ is all funk, energy
Mylo: ha! loving Syncrom - 2010 is gonna be all about over the top karate kid music.
Alex Metric: love them both but badger is blowing my tiny mind. will play on the next radio 1 show for sure and smash it to hell and back in gigs. wicked!
Fake Blood: I'm off to jump into a computer controlled car / plane/helicopter / change into an animal!
Brodinski: Amazing man thanks a lot! ! Love dat!
Nick Warren: Syncrom is like Knightrider coming over the hill!
Sharam Jey: Always support your stuff, good tune with some nice disco sample falavour
Olav Basoski: DISCO DISCO GOOD GOOD, wow, this shit is FAT!
Larry Tee : Always loved Mason and Badger is Killing! Amazing man thanks a lot! ! Love dat!
Monday, February 22, 2010
Over the weekend Jack Beats, the DJ duo that has recently exploded, were given the task of mixing the legendary BBC Radio 'Essential Mix'. I was actually a little surprised that they were granted this privilege. Not that the boys don't have the talent or depth, simply because a year ago few people even knew the name Jack Beats. I was lucky enough to catch these guys on NYD this year at Sydney's Field Day. I was already quite familiar and fond of their work and very keen to see what they'd play. They certainly didn't disappoint playing a nice hard set. They were on a smaller stage behind the main stage but the Sydney crowd is obviously onto it cos a shit load of people turned out for the dusk set and the Jack Beats had a rave going on.
With a solid string of remixes and originals under their belt the boys are quickly becoming/have become a household name in the dance world. Their sound is a mixture of dubstep, electro, fidget. People often talk about their 'wobbly bass lines'. I was impressed with this mix for their track selection which is fresh and varied giving you a good idea of what they like and make. Personally I think they killed it. What do you reckon?
Jack Beats Essential Mix 20/02/2010
1. Dead Can Dance – Dawn Of The Iconclast (Jack Beats Intro Edit)
2. Passion Pit – Little Secrets (Jack Beats Remix)
3. Lee Mortimer & Laidback Luke – Blau! (LA Riots Remix)
4. Jack Beats – Labyrinth
5. Pase Rock – Nights (Nadastrom Remix)
6. L-Vis 1990 – United Groove (MJ Cole Remix)
7. D1 – Pitcher (128 Mix)
8. Kissy Sell Out – This Kiss (Jack Beats Remix)
9. Black Box – Ride On Time (Zombie Disco Squad Remix – Jack Beats Edit)
10. Sound of Stereo – Button (Beataucue Remix)
11. Does It Offend You, Yeah? – Epic Last Song (Jack Beats Remix)
12. Foamo – Jookie
13. Tiga – What You Need (A-Trak Remix)
14. Zombie Nation – Seas of Grease (Harvard Bass Remix)
15. Diplo & Blaqstarr – Get Off (Jack Beats Remix)
16. Noob & Brodinski – Peanuts Club (BeatauCue Remix)
17. M.A.N.D.Y & Booka Shade – Donut (Boy 8-Bit Remix)
18. Mvsvem – French Jeans (Style Of Eye Remix)
19. Boys Noize & Erol Alkan – Waves (Chilli Gonzales remix)
20. The Black Ghosts – I Want Nothin’ (Jack Beats Remix Accapella)
21. Felix Da Housecat – Kickdrum
22. SonicC – Unicorns On Acid
23. La Roux – I’m Not Your Toy (Jack Beats Remix)
24. Jack Beats & MC Dynamite – What (Boy 8-Bit Remix)
25. Bag Raiders – Shooting Stars (Siriusmo Remix)
26. Claude VonStroke – Vocal Chords
27. Popof – Serenity w/ Fingers Inc – My House Acapella (Jack Had a Groove)
28. Breakage – Justified ft. Erin
29. 16-Bit – Jump
30. Joker – Tron
31. Calvin Harris – You Used To Hold Me (Nero Remix)
32. Subscape – Hardcore Members
33. Doctor P – Sweet Shop
34. Benga – Little Bits
35. Donaeo – Riot Music (Skreamix)
36. Jack Beats – U.F.O (K-Hole Bass Riddim)
37. Lady Sovereign – Got You Dancing (Jack Beats Remix)
38. Unknown Artist – BG (Crookers DJ Tool Mix)
39. Florence + The Machine – Drumming Song (Jack Beats Remix)
40. AC Slater – Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats Remix)
41. DJ Zinc – Gimme A Camera ft. Angela Hunter
42. Hockey – Song Away (Jack Beats ‘Anger Management’ Unreleased Dub)
43. DJ Zinc – Super Sharp Shooter (Jack Beats Remix)
44. The Count & Sinden – Panther
45. TC – Deep (Jack Beats ‘2008 Unreleased’ Remix)
46. L-Vis 1990 – The Bird
47. Project Bassline – Drop The Pressure (Jack Beats Remix)
48. Diplo & Laidback Luke vs. Proxy – Hey vs. Raven (Will Bailey Bootleg)
49. Faithless – Never Going Home (Herve Remix)
50. Fake Blood – Mars (Jack Beats Remix)
51. Jack Beats – Get Down VIP
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Thought you should be informed on what to look out for over the next month or 2.....
Tiga - What you need Remixes - March - 1st
High Power Boys - Highway - February - 22th
Duke Dumont - Fabriclive 52
The Proxy - March
6. Indian Film
9. Quad Damage
10. The Status PT 1
11. Who Are You
12. Think First
Crookers - Tons of Friends - March - 8th
Kavinsky - Nightcall - March - 22th
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Whats that sound? was exactly what I thinking when I saw this interview with Afrojack.... Size records is taking on his new Ibiza bomb track inspired by Mr Steve Angello.....
1. For those people who might not know you, please introduce yourself…
Waddup, this is Afrojack, this time with a new sound.
2. How’s the year treating you so far?
I’ve been making music for the past 3 years professionally, going well so far!
3. Tell us about the new single. Pacha’s not somewhere you’d normally associate with acid…
Nope its not, Mr David Guetta asked me to play in Ibiza with him on the FMIF closing party, and figured I needed to make something that would fit in to Pacha, but a little bit too hard (I like that), then I thought hmmm there hasn’t been something like Steve Angello’s Teasing Mr Charlie for sooo long, and thought lets do something like that! And it’s not about the drug acid, but about the sound! The track worked its magic in Pacha Ibiza and it was even cooler Steve eventually asked me if he could release it on his label, seeing the inspiration came from there!
4. Will you be out in Ibiza this year? Where’s your favourite place on the island?
Yes!! My favourite places are Mambo, Pacha and the big Amnesia club, had some amazing times there especially in the last two, also DC10 used to be a killer party!! Too bad it’s closed, will be playing in Pacha and Eden this year for sure, all the rest I can’t say anything yet.
5. Everyone’s gearing up for Miami at the moment…what’s your take on the WMC?
This is actually the first year I’m doing some of the gigs there! I have made like a small track for WMC, but I’m not “trying” to make that anthem, I’m more interested in meeting my favourite producers and maybe hooking up with them in the studio, and of course some major fun parties, it’s like a big DJ field trip!
6. What have you got planned for the rest of the year?
I just got in my USA working permit so will do a lot of tours there, gonna fly a lot in Europe, and going back to Australia at the end of the year too, outside of that a lot of big studio sessions with big guys, and I’ve also started producing for pop artists which is really fun to do! That also gives me a fresh look on dance music which can inspire me if the four to the floor doesn’t do it for me one day..
7. Anything else you’d like to tell us about…?
Yes, soon there will be a reaaaally special studio session, going in with Mr Steve Angello himself!!
AFROJACK - PACHA ON ACID by sizerecords
Definitely a different sound, but as he said Teasing Mr Charlie needed a reworking of some kind. Also speaking of the WMC, all the artists usually get their tunes of the year ready for this. As this is the most influential festival of the year, in the dance world.
March 23rd marks the 25th anniversary, and with lineups like this.... tickets for delegates start at like $250 and that was 4 months ago, then flights, drinks.... pricey. But all these artists will probably play their newest and best work for the year at one or all of the events.
Dirty South has this ready for the WMC 2010.
Friday, March 26 Ultra Music Fest
ULTRA MAIN STAGE:
TIËSTO, DAVID GUETTA, GROOVE ARMADA LIVE, PASSION PIT, LITTLE BOOTS, DAN BLACK, WOLFGANG GARTNER, MISS NINE.
BAYFRONT LIVE STAGE:
THE DISCO BISCUITS, THE CRYSTAL METHOD LIVE, RABBIT IN THE MOON 3D, INFECTED MUSHROOM, PRETTY LIGHTS, LOTUS.
CARL COX & FRIENDS ARENA:
CARL COX, GREEN VELVET, TIMO MAAS,
LUCIANO, UMEK. UMF IBIZA ARENA:
ERIC PRYDZ, DIRTY SOUTH, WILL.I.AM, KASKADE, FELIX DA HOUSECAT, LAIDBACK LUKE.
PLUMP DJS, FAKE BLOOD, STANTON WARRIORS, ADAM FREELAND, BASSBIN TWINS VS. UBERZONE LIVE, ALEX METRIC LIVE, BOY 8 BIT, EVIL NINE,
Saturday, March 27 Ultra Music Fest
ULTRA MAIN STAGE:
DEADMAU5, SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA, ARMIN VAN BUUREN,
FAITHLESS SOUND SYSTEM LIVE, BENNY BENASSI, DAMIAN MARLEY & NAS, GROOVE ARMADA DJ SET, CALVIN HARRIS DJ SET.
BAYFRONT LIVE STAGE:
ORBITAL, CROOKERS, BLOODY BEETROOTS LIVE, GHOSTLAND OBSERVATORY, A-TRAK, BOYS NOIZE VS. EROL ALKAN, DIPLO, STEVE AOKI, AFROBETA, JAPANESE POPSTARS.
CARL COX & FRIENDS ARENA:
CARL COX, SASHA & JOHN DIGWEED, ERICK MORILLO, FEDDE LE GRAND, YOUSEF.
UMF BRAZIL ARENA:
ABOVE & BEYOND, PAUL OAKENFOLD, ATB, MARKUS
SCHULZ, SANDER VAN DOORN, GARETH EMERY, RODRIGO VIEIRA, JEROME ISMA-AE, MARCOS CARNAVAL, FERRIS.
MAJOR LAZER, PENDULUM DJ SET, LTJ BUKEM, BASSNECTAR, ANDY C & MC GQ, RUSKO, THE
GLITCH MOB, PLANET OF THE DRUMS, SKREAM, SUBFOCUS, BENGA, FREQ
NASTY, NERO, CASPA, TODDLA T.
All in one place! I will leave you with two tacks that I am loving.
Moby-Go(Prok & Fitch_Bootleg).mp3(RIP)
Christian Smith & Gabe-Fidelidada.mp3
Monday, February 15, 2010
This week's Mix Monday comes from a Sydney collab which is heading towards big things. Flight Facilities is the pairing of two Sydney producers who are talented and respected on their own accord, U-GO-BE and Jimmy 2 Sox. They pair who are both signed to the Bang Gang label met and quickly realised a common interest in their taste in music and all things similar. By putting their production skills and ideas together the duo realised few remixes last year, not too many but enough (and of a high enough quality) to create a stir. Their most recent piece of work is a track called 'Crave You' which is not even released yet and has gained much attention world wide. It's due out in March with a both of remixes. Definitely worth keeping an ear out for.
The mixtape is one they put out bout half way through 2009. I think the idea was to sort of showcase some tunes they liked and give people an idea of their sound and what to expect. I think it's very well crafted. Not tonnes of well known stuff but more an unique collection of tracks put together well.
Maiden Voyage Mixtape Demo - Flight Facilities
01. Krazy Baldhead - Sweet Night
02. Dahlback & Dahlback - Rolle Niva
03. Jump - Funkatarium
04. Joakim - Lonely Hearts (Loving Hand Remix)
05. Whitest Boy Alive - 1517 (Morgan Geist Remix)
06. Lost Valentinos - Serio (Weird Tapes Remix)
07. Cut Copy - Far Away (Hercules & Love Affair Remix)
08. Cassius - Rock Number One (Leopold Gregory Remix)
09. ZZT - The Worm (Erol’s not so crunchy edit)
10. Beni - Maximus (Black Version)
11. Compuphonic & Kolumbo - Antimatter
12. Bag Raiders - Shooting Stars (Kris Menace Dub)
13. The Lowbrows - Dream In The Desert (Flight Facilties Remix)
14. Sally Shapiro - I’ll Be By Your Side (Tensnake Remix)
15. Louie Austen - Hoping (Herbert’s High Dub)
16. Dj Mujava - Township Funk (Crazy P Remix)
17. Metro Area - Miura
18. Surkin - Next Of Kin (Todd Edwards Re-Kindled Mix)
19. Ian Pooley - Chord Memory (Daft Punk Remix)
20. Tiga - Far From Home (DFA Remix - Joakim Edit)
21. Bag Raiders - Turbo Love (Flight Facilities ft. Louie Austen Business Class Lounge Version)