Thursday, November 19, 2009
When producing a tune, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me its the Kick. Recently, I was looking through Kid Sister s album that got picked up by Fools Gold.
Alot of her tracks I am familiar with, however one thing I was not familiar with was the producers behind them. Some of the producers are the biggest names in dance music.
Below is her album with each tracks producer..... Some very high ranked producers.
1. Right Hand Hi (prod. Steve Angello + Sebastian Ingrosso)
2. Life On TV (prod. Yuksek)
3. Big n Bad (prod. Count + Sinden)
4. Step (feat. Estelle) (prod. Rusko)
5. Let Me Bang 2009 (prod. XXXChange)
6. Pro Nails (feat. Terence Kanye West) (prod. A-Trak)
7. Daydreaming (feat. Cee-Lo) (prod. Brian Kennedy)
8. Switch Board (feat. DJ Gant-Man) (prod. DJ Gant-Man)
9. 54321 (prod. XXXChange)
10.Get Fresh (prod. A-Trak + XXXChange).mp3
11.You Ain’t Really Down (prod. A-Trak).mp3
12. Control (prod. XXXChange)
I overlooked this album at first but then really went back and loved some of it. Then when I researched the production I realised why I was loving it.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
A giant Mona Lisa was contructed using 3,604 cups of coffee, with Grinders Barista creating over 10 different shades or coffee strengths. Then laying them down to re-create the famous portrait. All down in Sydney Town. I think alot of patience was needed for this piece....
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
So a few weeks ago we had A-Trak talking to Steve Angello about ‘Gypsy Wedding Music’. The track he was reffering to is his recent Flonko which he made with his brother. I love the way he summed it up. Two versions were released of the track and both rely heavily on some crazy clarinet samples over big bold kicks to bring this ‘Gypsy Wedding Music’ feeling and sound.
Flonko (Version 1) - Steve Angello & AN21
This is another similar track I stumbled across the other day. If Flonko is gypsy wedding music then Klezmer is a ‘Bar Mitzvah House Party’. I wonder whether A-Trak would play it..? I love the idea of these elements being brought in a dance track, especially when it’s executed well.
Klezmer - Pizeta Feat. Reagadelica
Here's a sneaky lil remix I came across thats very fitting for the post. It's a Renaissance Man remix of a Havard Bass tune and uses similar elements to the top tracks above.
81 (Renaissance Man Remix) - Havard Bass
Monday, November 9, 2009
There is nothing 'new' that motivated this post. I have no urge to give you something new. The nature of blogging is to share thoughts, music and other rubbish that you feel is necessary for other people to know about. In that case, the sole reason for this post - one of my all-time favourite songs. I don't care if you do or don't endorse it, remix it or even tell people about it. If you did, great. I just think that if this particular song had the power to change the way I listened to and played music, then it should be worth sharing. If only everyone would froth over this melody. As it happened, Chris Martin from Coldplay did. He specifically asked Florian and Ralf if he could use the riff for their song 'Talk'.
Please froth over this. I would like you to. I would like you to embrace one of the greatest electronic songs ever. Sure, that's just my opinion. I don't think it could be any more appropriate though. What a fitting title - Computer Love. This title suggests that these geniuses were way too ahead of their time. Thirty years on and here we are, mounting our computers and other technological software. I use this software as a vehicle for getting this song across to you and watching porn. The latter more discretely of course. Ahh blogging...how irrelevant that last comment was and still it was read by the unknown.
Danke Kraftwek, danke.
Kraftwerk - Computer Love
Sunday, November 8, 2009
I read somewhere recently that Simian is like the Chemical Brothers of our time. I think this not far from the truth. Their production style is unique and changing which gives them an element of longevity. Their love and use of traditional synths is always evident and through the accompinent of some solid vocalists they have mad some pretty powerful and lasting songs (Hustler anyone?)
The one that stood out to me the day I got their most recent album was Cruel Intentions. I love everything about it, the stong vocal sung by the big Beth Ditto from The Gossip, the lyrics, the sound, the smell, the taste. This is why I was understandably excited when a lil remix package was released. I like pretty much all the remixes on the release, some more than others but also like the fact that they are all quite different from one another. These are my two favs.
Cruel Intentions (Heartbreaks Slow Action Remix) - Simian Mobile Disco
Cruel Intentions (Greg Wilson Re-Edit) - Simian Mobile Disco
Monday, November 2, 2009
N.A.S.A. is more a concept than an actual artist. North America/South America (N.A.S.A.) is the idea of combining multiple music influences from two large and broad continents. Earlier this year the creative collaboration of Squeak E. Clean and DJ Zegon released their debut piece of work entitled ‘The Spirit Of Apollo’. This was essentially a 17-track compilation of a huge variety of collaborations. By calling upon artists ranging in music styles, influences and cultures and pairing up unusual duos, trios and even quartets the idea is to bring closer cultures through music. The result is a very diverse and often segmented album. This is neither good nor bad. To start off with the line up of artists is pretty breathtaking with over 30 artists contributing to the cause there is no lack of talent. We’re not talking no-names either with some of the hottest artists the American continents have to offer. The album definately has more powerful moments than others. Sometimes the different influences on a track work extremely well together, often where unexpected. However not every track meets this hard to attain goal. If you had to boil it all down you could call this album a ‘hip-hop’ album. That’s where you’d most likely find it in the CD store (do they have those anymore?).
The the most recent release from the innovative pair is a ‘mixtape’. Tanning On The Moon is an hours' worth of tracks compiled by the two and then mixed by DJ Zegon. The tracklist is quite broad and follows a similar concept of combining often very varied musical styles. This is again executed with a considerable level of success. Not the most flawless or flowing mix but rather a collection of almost 60 tracks and acacpellas both old and new this mix is fun and friendly and does a largely good job of combining influences from across diverse range of cultures. Whether this brings them closer together culturally, musically or otherwise I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Tanning On The Moon - N.A.S.A.
01. Tanning on the Moon Intro
02. Eric B. & Rakin - Juicy ( Eli escobar Vs. N.A.S.A. Short Edit)
03. N.A.S.A. - It’s NASA collage
04. N.A.S.A. - Samba Soul (Ape Sh!T Brothers Remix)
05. N.A.S.A. - Strange Enough (Mr.Oizo Remix)
06. Kanye West Vs. MGMT - Electric Feel vs. Touch the Sky (DJ Zegon Mash Up)
07. Knight Rider Vs. A Volta (N.A.S.A. Mash Up)
08. A Skillz & Krafty Kuts - Happiness
09. Eric B. & Rakin - I Know Got Soul (Acapella)
10. Jesse Rose - Well Now
11. Amanda Blank - Might Like You Better
12. M.I.A - 10 dollar
13. The Count & Sinden - Hardcore Girl (feat. Rye Rye)
14. Holly Ghost! - Hold On
15. La Bionda - Wanna be Your Lover
16. Theme from S’ Express-S’Express
17. Tom Tom Club - Wordy Rappinghood
18. Egyption Lover - Egyption Lover
19. Todd Terje - I Want Your Love
20. Justin Timbarlake - My Love
21. Simian Mobile Disco - Love
22. The Beatles - All You Need is Love
23. N.A.S.A. - Gifted (Boombotz Remix)
24. The Jonzun Crew - Pack Jam (Look Out For The OVC)
25. Sweet - Love is Oxigen
26. Ultramagnetic Mc’s - Burn Dope (Instrumental)
27. DJ Medhi - Pocket Piano
28. Kid Kudi - Day N’ Night (Crookers Remix)
29. Bart B.More Beat vs. Rakin (DJ Zegon Edit)
30. Major Lazer - Hold the Line
31. Dick Dale Vs. Major Lazers - Hold Misirlou (Ape Sh!T Brothers Mash Up)
32. Silvio Mazzuca - Cerveja
33. The Champs - Tequila
34. Drunk Masters - Top Cat
35. The Rolling Stones - You Can’t Always Get What You Want (Soulwax Remix)
36. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (DFA Remix)
37. The Jacksons 5 - I Want You Back (Roger 72 Remix)
38. Missy Elliott - I’m Really Hot (Instrumental)
39. Michael Jackson - Bad (Acapella)
40. Soho Vs. Missy Elliott - Hot Music Vs. I’m Really Hot (DJ Zegon Mash Up)
41. LCD Soundsystem Vs. Busta Rhymes - Put Your Hands Innocuous (N.A.S.A. Mash Up)
42. Tittsworth - Boojangles (Instrumental)
43. Mighty Dub Katz - Magic Carpet Ride
44. Friend and Lover - Groovy Now (Mighty Mi Mix)
45. Mylo - Drop The Pressure
46. Daft Punk - DaFunk
47. Daft Punk - Da Funk (Thunderous Olympians Remix)
48. Kid Color Vs. Too Short - Blow The Zonga (N.A.S.A. Mash Up)
49. B-easy - Bongo Joint
50. Switch - A bit patchy (Acapella)
51. N.A.S.A. - Money (Count Of Monte Cristal Remix)
52. N.A.S.A. - Money
53. N.A.S.A. - Whachadoin (DJ Zegon Megamix)
54. Quincy Jones - Soul Bossa Baile (N.A.S.A. Remix)
55. Ron Rico - Miss A (Sneeze Song)
56. Frankie Valli & The 4 Seasons - Beggin’ (Pilooski Re-Edit)