Thursday, April 30, 2009
Absolute huge huge lineup, how many stages, how many cdj-1000s, how many pills, questions and queries go forever! Will get a sample of each artist up for you guys.
Armin Van Buuren (5 hr set)
Armand Van Helden
Kissy Sell Out (live)
Guy Gerber (Cocoon - live)
16 Bit Lolitas
Grafton Primary (live)
Pivot (Warp Records – live)
Anja Schneider (Mobilee)
Justin Martin (Dirty Bird)
Sascha Funke (B Pitch Control)
Guns N Bombs, Danger (live)
Miami Horror (live)
Van She Tech
Trashbags Posse DJs
Act Yo Age
Renaissance Man and Stupid Fresh could always be annouced, still only around five weeks left.
Renaissance Man - Spray Can
2 Bit Thugs - A Good Look Stupid Fresh Remix
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
We may be missing you but we have not forgotten you. A decade after Dr Dre dropped argueably one of the most influencial hip hop albums of our time the Doc is about to return with 'Detox'. He first talked about this album in 2000! Maybe he's been smoking too much. He said he had over 150 finished tracks for the album and it was just a matter of choosing what he wanted.
This is a rarer Dre track, its actually a remix he did for the Goldmember (Austin Powers) Soundtrack, crica '02. A friend reminded my of this track and its impecable production, that's what Dr Dre does after all. Roll one.
Miss You (Dr Dre Remix) - The Rolling Stones
Monday, April 27, 2009
This Goes Out to a Regional NSW Dj who has requested,
1983 (Eric Prydz Remix) Paolo Mojo
As I have minimal time today here is another.
Flying Guitar (Original Mix) - Dilemn
I have another track that featured in the Bang Gang Minimix a few posts back called Ghetto Town by Dilemn. I will get it up soon.
Candybar, the Sydney DJ duo sent me there lastest mix the other week and this shit is sick. 47 mins, 67 tracks. You do the math. What makes this mix so very special though is how it still flows so well considering. The very clever use of a well planned and diverse track list enables smooth key changes. There's parts of the mix when there is up to four or five tracks playing at once and somehow it manages to still sound 'clean' when you'd expect a large amount of overcrowding. So wrap your lips around the beast RIPRJ by Candybar, exclusively on Staying Sick.
RIP RJ - Candybar
1. I Can See You Can You See Me - Rex The Dog
2. Disco Sirens - Midfield General
3. We Are Your Friends - Justice Vs. Simian
4. Keep On Keepin On - The Cave Bear Cult
5. Positif - Mr Oizo
6. Shit Your Rack (Proxy Remix) - Autodiktat
7. Ghosts N Stuff (Candybar Edit) - Deadmau5
8. Countach - Franz And Shape
9. Mars - Fake Blood
10. My Love Sees You - Beni
11. To The Bobmobile (Kazey & Bulldog Rmx)- Bobmo
12. Chop Suey (Jeremy remix) - Busy P
13. Organ Donor - DJ Shadow
14. Crimewave - Crystal Castles
15. Aurora - Alex Gopher
16. We Run This (Duke Dumont Remix) - Missy Elliot
17. Let Me Do My Dance - Ohh Snap
18. Ice Cream - Soft Tigers
19. The Fallen (Justice Remix) - Franz Ferdinand
20. Roar - Pautrice Baumel
21. Pipe Intro - Jeremy
22. Fuck - Etienne De Crecy
23. The Battery Pt2 - Boys Noize
24. Hands Up Thumbs Down (High Powered Boys Remix) - Blaqstarr
25. Chandler Bing - Abstraxion
26. My Toys - Popof
27. War Paint - Poxymusic
28. Fired From Work - Diplo
29. Roses Are Red - Rainer Wernber Bassfinder
30. Wutang Clan Aint Nothing To Fuck With - Wutang Clan
31. Clubb Clubb - Bumblebeez
32. To Protect And Entertain - Busy P
33. Ladyflash (Simian Mobile Disco Remix) - The Go Team
34. Let Me Back Up - Don Rimini
35. Love Bounce - Act Yo Age
36. Up Down - High Powered Boys
37. Turbo Love (Tough Love Edition) - Bagraiders
38. Say Whoa - A-Trak
39. Inodertodance (Boys Noize Remix) - Housemeister
40. Girls - Rockid
41. Dirty And Hard -Djedjotronic
42. Half In Love (Foamo remix) - Mystery Jets
43. Samirs Theme - Debonair Samir
44. This Velvet Glove (Candybar Editish) - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
45. Itchy Scratchy - Rex The Dog
46. AA247 (Diplo Remix) - Dance Area
47. Star Model (Don Rimini Remix) - Numero
48. Rave Is King (Le Castle Vania Remix) - Fukk Offf
49. Lovely Allen (Riton Rerub) - Holy Fuck
50. Bounce (Felix Cartal Remix) - MSTRKRFT
51. Bounce (High Powered Boys Remix) - MSTRKRFT
52. Pictures - Ali Payami
53. No Pussy Blues (Midfield General Remix) - Grinderman
54. Bot - Deadmau5
55. Get Up (Diplo Remix) - Bingo Players
56. Streetplayers - Voodoo Chilli
57. Do Worry (Kid Alex Remix) - Telex
58. For Sale - Buy Now
59. For Sale (Henrik B & Plec Remix) - Buy Now
60. Rollin And Scratchin - Daft Punk
61. NY Lipps (Kawazaki Dub) - Soulwax
62. Shine Shine (Shadow Dancer Remix) - Boys Noize
63. Lion (Lowbrows Remix) -ZZZ
64. Lion - ZZZ
65. Young Folks (Phones Remix) - Peter Bjorn and John
66. Veronicas Veil (Erol Alkan Remix) - Fan Death
67. Hoops - The Chemical Brothers
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Berlin Calling is a film by Hannes Stohr featuring at the Audi 2009 German Film Festival. The film follows the life of DJ/Producer Martin aka DJ Ickarus and his turbulent lifestyle exacerbated by the underground drug culture and his tumultuous relationship with his girlfriend, record label and family.
Attention DJs : This film will appeal to you! DJ Ickarus (Paul Kalkbrenner) is a semi-pro DJ who loves his stimulants, touring the globe and gaining industry recognition. At the same time he is in the process of releasing an album. Ickarus overdoses on a shit pill (containing PMA - aka 'death', stay away kids) and is admitted to a psychiatric clinic (rehab). This is where we see the schizophrenic episodes create the reality of drug abuse. The Berlin underground-techno scene is heavily featured and the seedy lifestyle that is synonymous with it does too.
While the film drags on in parts, it is clearly setting the tone for the dance sub-culture made infamous in the 90s and the profound effects of excessive drug use amongst DJs and club patrons. A few funny parts here and there and some enjoyable tracks makes it a little more stimulating for the audience.
It is currently being shown at Chauvel Cinemas, Paddington and other various cinemas. If you are a DJ, Meth head, Techno Addict, Pill Popper, K Taker or just a curious lad as I was, go check it out. Oh, and he uses Ableton on his laptop...now you'll see it?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Not a household name, Mastiksoul is a somewhat unknown producer who does know what he's doing. He's being DJ since 1992! Originally he split his time between Portugal and France but now he's all over the place. He's playing something stupid like 10 countries over the next month.
What brought my attention to this character was Ajax, a Sydney based DJ. Seen a few of his more recent sets he's been playing a remix of Daft Punk's 'Technologic'. Or so I thought. I found out that this piece was actually an orginial which sampled the song Technologic. The song was by Mastiksoul...
Run For Cover - Mastiksoul
As this guys stuff isn't to widely spread in the blog world I've decided to share with you a few more of his slightly more obscure material. None of these are that new. I like the African element in his production. Anyway, here's two more of his own and a remix of an old Lake track.
Jacobino - Mastiksoul
Bofe De Elite - Mastiksoul
Only One (Mastiksoul Remix) - Chris Lake
This week's mix come from a UK Producer/DJ and is the second BCC 1 Essential Mix which has been posted on Staying Sick. This is Jesse Rose. The set was recored at the very beginning of the year (1st one of '09 infact) and the reason I've choosen to post this mix is because the big man is coming down under to Australia next month for a string of shows around the country. This is good news. I really enjoy this set too as I feel it has a great and well planned progression over the two hour time slot which you don't often see in an Essential Mix. Have a listen and let me know what you think...
Essential Mix (03/01/2009) - Jesse Rose
1. Jesse Rose - Forget My Name (Accapella mix) - Dubsided
2. Worthy - Crackle (Justin Martin Remix) - Leftroom
3. Zombie Disco Squad - The Dance - Dirtybird CDR
4. Mathias Mestino - Wild Coyote - Upon You
5. Robert Dietz - Sunshower - Cecille
6. Oliver $ - Watcha Gonna Do? - Made to Play
7. Hector - Los Vatos CDR
8. Martin Brothers - Dum (Nat Self Remix) - CDR
9. Solid Groove Vs Madlib - Untitled - CDR
10. Riva Starr - Maria - Kindish
11. Sis - Nesrib - Cecille
12. Der Dritte Raum - Swing Bop - CDR
13. Solid Groove Vs Romathony Vs Roman Flugel - Frummer Lover - CDR
14. Claude Vonstroke - The Whistler (Jesse Rose Vs Peaches Remix) - CDR
15. Sis - Trumpetta - CDR
16. Pepe Bradock - Angola (Carl Craig Remix) - Lusafrica
17. Riva Starr - Snatch - Made to Play
18. Jesse Rose - Touch My Horn - Dubsided
19. Consistent - Midnight Blend (Oliver $ Remix) - Front Room
20. Trackheads - Our Music - NRK
21. Kenlou - The Bounce - MAW
22. Mowgli - Amore - CDR
23. Trademarq - Dirtygirls (Derrick Carter Remix) - Classic
24. Mike Dunn - God Made Me Funky - I Records
25. Roy David JR - All About Love (Solid Groove Remix) - Classic
26. Italoboyz - Bahia - Dirtybird
27. TJR - Sonic Chronic (Lee Mortimer Remix) - Made to Play
28. Diplo - Blow Your Mind - Mad Decent
29. Popof - Alcoholic - CDR
29. Jan Driver - Rat Alert - Made to Play
30. Radioclit - Divine Gosa (Switch Remix) - Counterfeet
31. Damian Marley Vs CVS - Jamrock - CDR
32. Spank Rock - Bump (Switch Remix) - CDR
33. Jesse Rose - Forget My Name (Accapella mix) - Dubsided
Saturday, April 18, 2009
One of my favourite bands, Lost Valentinos, are releasing an album on Bang Gang in just a couple of months, and they’ve sneakily been releasing a couple of singles from it since late last year. I’m really a big fan of their musicality and instrumentation, and the production on these two singles is pretty slick…
So without further ado, here are a couple of singles off the upcoming album, Cities of Gold, out in June. Really great stuff.
Serio - Lost Valentinos
The Bismarck - Lost Valentinos
And what’s a blog post without a few obligatory remixes? I’m a big fan of the Goldenbug remix below, and Chris from the Bumblebeez can always be counted on for some solid remix work.
Serio (Bumblebeez Remix) - Lost Valentinos
The Bismarck (Goldenbug Remix) - Lost Valentinos
Friday, April 17, 2009
The other day I came across an editorial about the well known, much talked about Ivy Pool in Sydney. Went like this...
" I was reading a post on an inthemix forum about a Q-tip gig that was on up at Ivy Pool a few months ago. This poor guy was absolutely desperate to go… he was trying everything.. it was pretty devastating to read that someone that was obviously a massive fan could not even go listen to the music he loves because it was members and VIP only. This other guy who was pretty opinionated on the matter put it in words I could not have said any better.. he pretty much said that this situation represents everything wrong with Sydney’s scene..the fact that this guy who is a true fan misses out because he is too REAL for Ivy is bullshit.. I think he is absolutely right.. this pretentious palace represents everything wrong with this subculture of hedonistic weapons. There is such a huge amount of confusion in this place that money is actually being mistaken for culture. The superficiality of the place is beyond anything even imaginable. Women being paid to party in bikini’s and stilleto’s while men a bit too old and a bit too sleazy stalk young and easily influenced girls. This place could be so cool if they actually got a good crowd in.. its such a shame that probably one of the most expensive sound systems in any club in Sydney is being occupied by a girl called DJ sparkle who has a regular gig in this $150 million club. She has no idea how to DJ, but knows how to give a good blow job and will play in a bikini."
Pretty funny and shockingly accurate. That place is the most amazing venue in Sydney filled with the most amazing group of fuckwits. It's actually sad. So here's the good news. The 'Ivy' is going into LIQUIDATION! Hahaha. This has been rumoured for a while now but trust me its happening. Thank god losers like this will have to find some other place to parade their patheticness...
Here's a mad prick who's Pool Party is just getting started. I give you Shazam's latest installment, Pool Party 2009. Along with the Headman remix. Both good disco style tunes. This is what I'm gonna play at my celebratory pool party.
Pool Party 2009 - Shazam
Pool Party 2009 (Headman Revlover Remix) - Shazam
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Norwegian fun boys Svein Berge and Torbjorn Brundtland are dance duo Royksopp. Their music is a combination of dance-pop and deep groove electronica. Junior, the 3rd studio album (released earlier this year)has been critically acclaimed reaching as high as 28 on the ARIA charts. (not that that really matters)
Starting out in the 'Bergen Wave' of early 90s Norwegian experimental groups the band has risen to success with this album collaborating with Swedish artist Robyn on 'The Girl and the Robot' and also features the unique, sought after vocals in Karin Anderssen of the Knife.
The funny thing about this album is that it has all the elements to be incredibly cheesy, housey Wild FM/Eurovision-like stuff on a select few tracks, although there is somehow a boundary that prevents that from turning you off. Maybe it's the album cover, or the fact that we are obsessed with music from those cold, depressing areas of the globe.
First single released - 'Happy Up Here' is a great album opener sampling P-Funk's Do That Stuff. 'Tricky Tricky' gets the BPM's up so we are fit for a rave and glow sticks and 'Vision One' and 'Silver Cruiser' share the ambience of a Massive Attack record. My favourite would have to be This Must Be It feat. Karin Anderssen of The Knife. The energy and her voice make the track a little stronger than the others. 'It's What I Want' is a an 80s driven dark sound with enjoyable treated vocals and drum synths.
Long live Icy Norway.
This Must Be It - Royskopp
It's What I Want - Royskopp
Sébastien Tellier is one of France's favourite provocateurs of sex. His music. His videos. His pictures. His style. His clothes. This bearded biblical like figure IS sex. His most recent album, Sexuality, has been compared to Daft Punks softer material and has the well know sexy 'french syth' sound in there. His music is pretty special. Some of the production is amazing and takes you on little rythmic journeys.
American Apparel have always been a large supporter of this talented sex god, selling his album instore around the world. I first saw it in Berlin! (and not only in CD format but offering the full 12" EP on vinyl). Very recently, they decided to take this a step further and have released a limited edition unisex tee with quite a sexy stencil on the front sporting the sunglass wearing frog himself. And wait it gets better, with every purchase of the tee you cop a FREE copy of the album Sexuality.
This track isn't new. Infact its some of Tellier's first work which got him recognised. It was a single released called Sexual Sportswear. It seemed fitting for the post. The first is the original an eight minute syth journey, no vocals here. The second is SebestiAn (the other one, you know, the Ed Banger one) remix. This is a shorter harder version where SebastiAn has chopped up the orginal superbly and boosted it with some harder kicks and the odd bleeping noise which he loves so much. Both different and great tunes.
Sexual Sportswear - Sébastien Tellier
Sexual Sportswear (SebastiAn Remix) - Sébastien Tellier
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
These two gents are a couple of dudes from New York who like to play and make a bit of disco and gay house. They're old school too. Still playing all there stuff off vinyl for DJ sets and I'm not talking about vinyl with a laptop plugged in running tracktor or scratch live or whatever. Vinyl orginals. They play whatever they feel but a lot of there tracks consist of older disco style tunes made in the 70's and 80's which gives you a bit of insight into their somewhat unique sorta re-made nu-wave disco sound. Here's one of the orginals and a couple kinda dubish remixes. All high quality mp3's!
Hold On - Holy Ghost! 320kbps
The Deep End (Holy Ghost! Day School Dub) - Curses!
Goblin City (Holy Ghost! Disco Dub) - Panthers
Monday, April 13, 2009
Last night I saw Trentemøller Live! Ive seen a few DJ sets in my time...
So, how do I put this.... This was the best set I've ever seen! Sounds like a pretty big call. It is. The skill that this Danish had was incomprehendable. He was literally recreating songs live using just the effects on the mixer. The power cut out 45 mins into his set which killed the buzz a lil but they sorted that out soon enough and the crowd was even more keen because they knew what he was capable of. He carried on to kill it playing some of his harder stuff like his 'Go' remix and 'Milk/Moan' edit which ill post later this week if you're good.
Anyway, this is Trentemøller's Esstential Mix from 2006...
Little history lesson:
- The Essential Mix: Most widely listened to weekly dance mix in the world on one of the most listened to radio stations
- Trentemøller's Mix: Voted the best mix of 2006 by the people
- Basically: To sum it up, this was voted the best mix in 2006 by the listening population on the most listened to dance show in the world where they get the worlds best DJ's each week, can't be that bad.
This mix is the definition of a musically journey. Sit back, turn out the lights, turn up the volume and plan to spend the next two hours uninterrupted.
Essential Mix 2006 - Trentemøller
1. Trentemoller 'Small Piano Piece' (White Label)
2. Khan 'Fantomes' (Matador)
3. Trentemoller 'The Very Last Resort' (Poker Flat)
4. Trentemoller 'Miss You' (Poker Flat)
5. Lhasa de Sela 'De Carla A Pered' (Les Disques Audiogrammes)
6. Murcof 'Una' (Leaf)
7. Trentemoller 'Snowflake' (Poker Flat)
8. Unknown Artist 'Unknown Dub' (White Label)
9. Trentemoller 'Evil Dub' (Poker Flat)
10. The Specials 'Ghost Town' (EMI Gold)
11. Chris Isak 'Wicked Games (Trentemoller’s Unofficial Remake)' (White Label)
12. Trentemoller 'Nightwalker' (Poker Flat)
13. Trentemoller feat. Ane Trolle 'Moan (Trentemoller Remix)' (Poker Flat)
14. The Doors 'Break On Through (Disse Bootleg)' (White Label)
15. Franz Ferdinand 'The Fallen (Justice Remix) (Domino)
16. Le Tigre 'Nanny Nanny Boo Boo (Junior Senior Remix)' (Chicks On Speed Records)
17. James White and the Blacks 'Contort Yourself' (ZE Records)
18. Revl9n 'Someone Like You' (Because Music)
19. Thomas Schumacher 'High On You' (Spiel-Zeug Schallplatten)
20. Moby 'Go! (Trentemoller remix)' (Mute)
21. The Knife 'Silent Shout (Trente Short Edit) (Mute)
22. Jokke 'Feelin’ Good (Trentemoller Remix)' (White Label)
23. Isolee 'Beau Mot Plage (Freeform Fve Remix/Trente Edit/Original Version
24. Trentemoller 'Always Something Better feat. Richard Davis (Trentemoller Remix)' 25. The Knife 'We Share Our Mother's Health' (Trentemoller Remix) (Mute)\
Here he is perfroming last night at the Metro
First track is just a remake I did, Angello and Ingrosso played their bootleg of it at Future Music, and they have been dropping this worldwide lately.
Laktos-Sebastian Ingrosso(Swedish House Mafia Bootleg) Arta rework
Here we have a video which may be Proxy- Who The Fuck Are You.
Laktos-Sebastian Ingrosso(Swedish House Mafia Bootleg) Arta rework
Here we have a video which may be Proxy- Who The Fuck Are You.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
This weekend was easter, and at the same time it was bang gangs turn for an appearance on The Mashup with Annie Mac at BBC radio. With their entry of the minimix the gang clocked in a few. Check it out!
The Bang Gang Deejays Mini Mix
Hawkwind - Valium 10
Busy P - To Protect and entertain (SoMe Get Naked Mix)
DJedjotronic - Dirty and Hard (feat. Spoek)
Like Woah! - Oh I like (Stab-a-pella)
Tiga - Burning Down
Sylvester - Do You Wanna Funk
Bob Sinclar - Ultimate funk
Liquid Liquid - Optimo (An Optimo Espacio mix)
Feadz - Nummanoid
Machines Don't Care - Beat Bang
ZZT - The Worm
Digitalism - Homezone (Proxy remix)
Simian Mobile Disco - Hustler (A-trak remix)
Boy 8 bit - Bulbs Burn Out
Punkin Machine - Need you tonight
Angello and Ingrosso - Get Dumb
Teki Latex - Disco Dance With You (Para One Remix)
Tiga - Shoes (An edit)
Damn Arms - Destination Pt I
Kevin Saunderson - Bassline
MYSS - Trash My Mind (Lowbrows Remix)
Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger
HRD Vision - Playing for keeps (Daddy's Angel)
Fast Eddie - Big Ol Booty
Modeselektor - Kill Bill Vol.4
Krazy Baldhead - Krazy Motherfuckers (Midfield General Remix)
Dilemn - Ghetto Town
In a Room - Somebody in the House Say Yeah
Chuck Brown - Berro E Sombaro
Jesse Rose - Touch My Horn
Hot Chip - Ready For the Floor (Soulwax Remix)
Artful Dodger - Rewind
Happy Mondays - 24 Hour Party People (Jon Carter Remix)
Tiga - Mind Dimension
Steve “Silk” Hurley - Jack Ya Body
Santogold – L.E.S Artistes (Switch Remix)
KIM - BTTTTRY (Bag Raiders Remix)
Zombie Nation - Seas Of Grease
Proxy - Raven (Kazey & Bulldog Rmx)
Soft TIgers - Mr Icecream (Waxmaster Version)
Tame Impala - HFGW (Canyons Drunken Rage)
Elvis Presley - Crawfish (Pilooski edit)
Mr Oizo - Z
Inflagranti - I Chatted Up The Nympho Secretary
Buraka Som Sistema - Yah!
Paul Johnson - No big thing
Dance Area - AA 247
Dance Area - AA 247 (Diplo Remix)
Kim - Party Machini (Tomboy Remix)
MGMT - Time To Pretend (Blogula remix)
Shazam - Luckier (Hey Today Remix)
Alex Gopher - Bingo
Circle Children - Zulu
Rebel MC - Street Tuff
Outlander - The Vamp (Strip Steve Remix)
Shazam - Pool Party 2009 (Headman Remix)
Bobby O - So Hot For You
Soundhack - D1
Patrick Alavi - Come To Me
Wekan - Skid (Touche Remix)
The Deathset - On The Street (Bumblebeez Remix)
Nina Simone - Take Care of Business (Pilooski Remix)
Kraftwerk - Tour De France (French Version)
Zombie Disco Squad - Eurovision
MIA - XR2 (Tigerstyle Remix)
Lowbrows - Dream in The Desert (Hystereo Rebrand I)
Jan Driver - Rat Alert
Plaid - Kiddie Castle (Para One Remix)
The Wire - Three Girl Rhumba (Mock N Toof Edit)
Mr Oizo - Cut Dick
Bag Raiders - Shooting Stars
Toecutter - Best Party Ever (Original)
Bumblebeez - Clubb Clubb
Dangerous Dan & Nicky Vanshe - Around The World (Brainzar BmoreEdit)
Frankmusik - When You're Around (Boys Noize Remix)
Human Resource - Dominator (Buzz Fuzz mix)
Bag Raiders - Turbo Love (KIM remix)
Dj Assault - Gimme Head
Zomby - Where were you in 92?
Late of The Pier - Bathroom Gurgle
Kicks Like A Mule - The Bouncer
Ratatat - Mahalo
Bang Gang Minimix
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Last week, Kanye's Air Weezy dropped. A sneaker collaboration between Mr West and Nike. This was big. Like Air Jordan big and kids died (literally) over those shoes!
This Is Pop Culture
I wouldn't want to leave you empty handed so here's an oldy but a goody. Its a track originally taken from Ye's debut album, The College Dropout. Its called "Get Em High" and features Talib Kweli and Common, this is the Ratatat remix. Laid back
Get Em High (Ratatat Remix) - Kanye West
Monday, April 6, 2009
A-Trak said in a recent interview “I’m kinda over the harder stuff. I’m not really interested in hearing the very distorted, hard electro that was popular for the last two or three years.” I think this statement has a lot of weight behind it becasue it doesn't just state A-Trak's view on the current music scene but highlights the fundamental shift being seen and heard throughout the electronic music scene. Although the harder style electro/fidget genre is far from dead, it is on the down. This style of music is still at large and probably will be for some time. However, what has become evident is that people (DJ's, producers and party goers alike) have remembered that music is about melodies and the 'journey'. Not just a four and half minute track of noise or an hour a half set of it. Which brings me to this weeks mix...
Released last week on Thrive Records (/onelove in Aus) was A-Trak's latest creation; Infinity + 1. A-Trak effortlessly molds together a selection hip-hop, house and electro influences into a creative and highly melodic uptempo party-rocking set without the intense headbanging/fist punching aspect. This is where music is heading whether you want to admit it or not.
Infinity + 1 - A-Trak
1. Intro / John Dahlbäck - “Sidewalk”
2. KIM - “Party Machini”
3. Laurent Wolf - “The Crow”
4. Farley Jackmaster Funk - “Love Can’t Turn Around” (Lifelike Remix)
5. MSTRKRFT feat. N.O.R.E. - “Bounce” (A-Trak Remix)
6. Donnis - “Party Works”
7. Kid Sister - “Life On TV”
8. Sébastien Tellier - “Kilometer” (A-Trak Remix)
9. The Golden Filter - “Solid Gold”
10. Bag Raiders - “Nil By Mouth” (Knightlife Remix)
11. Holy Ghost! - “Hold On”
12. DJ Mehdi - “Pocket Piano” (Joakim Remix)
13. Midnight Juggernauts - “Shadows”
14. Gonzales - “Working Together” (Boys Noize Dub Mix)
15. Soundstream - “Freakin”
16. Little Boots - “Stuck On Repeat” (Fake Blood Remix)
17. Housemeister - “What You Want” (Siriusmo Remix)
18. A-Trak - “Say Whoa” (DJ Spinna Remix)
19. Dam Funk - “Galactic Fun”
20. Alexander Robotnick - “Problèmes d’Amour”
21. James Yuill - “This Sweet Love” (Prins Thomas Sneaky Edit)
Just incase you havn't seen this yet.
This is what the jewish kid did with his bar mitzvah money...
A-Trak @ DMC World 1997 (age 15)
Thursday, April 2, 2009
When we gather around to talk music we sometimes discuss authenticity; validity of acts playing what they believe is 'theirs' within their genre. Ok, I'll stop sounding like an absolute wanker but only if you take my hand as I'll throw you into the world of real, pure, authentic Electronic music.
Ich bin Kraftwerk!
This month I'll be posting a couple of songs from what I think were the great Kraftwerk albums. Starting with their earlier Radio-Activity 1975 and right through til their well awaited for 2004 Minimum-Maximum tour album.
Kraftwerk are Florian Schneider and Ralf Hutter at the core of the mixing desks in their KlingKlang Studios, Dusseldorff, Germany. Along with other various musicians, most commonly with Wolfgang Flur and Karl Bartos these guys set the tone for a future sound embracing technology. It will definitely put all you aspiring dj/producers in the knowledge park that preceded the works of Daft Punk, Digitalism, Justice, SMD etc by about 35 years.
Minimal, authentic electronica at it's F*ing best! You hear these guys developing their own instruments - own drum pads, own synths and sequencers. Believe it or not you Ableton/Logic rapists - digital drum machines and computers didn't ALWAYS exist. Remember, without Kraftwerk, we wouldve had to have waited a lot longer for hip/hop, techno and other various dance cultures. So be polite and when next on the decks...whisper a kind "Thank You, Kraftwerk".
So here is the first off the bat - Radioactivity from 1975 Album RadioActivity - not the greatest of tunes but quite advanced at the time with high frequencies playing a big part in basing the sound of "radio activity". Number 2 is the damn brilliant "Computer Love" from their awesome 1981 - ComputerWorld album. This was a turning point in music as you can imagine as they embraced the new world language of software and computers. Great tune, melody used by Coldplay in "Talk".
Radioactivity - Kraftwerk
Computer Love - Kraftwerk
Here's the two parts of the amazing new tune, Destination from Damn Arms. This Melbourne duo haven't released a heap to date but these two gems are most certainly worthy of some recognition. Part 1 is my pick of the two. The soothing synths, handclaps and cheeky lil flute line will send you drifting off to a place where you are on a boat, somewhere considerably warm, with tranquil water and no one else in sight.... Well it'll at least get your head nodding.
Destination Pt 1 - Damn Arms
Destination Pt 2 - Damn Arms
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Easily in my Top 10 Brazilian duos are The Twelves, who are hitting Sydneytown in the near future to force feed you some synthy Latin loving. They’ve been pretty busy of late, and have been indulging a bit of a retro fetish, and first up is a remix of the 80s equivalent of a banger, Take On Me by A-Ha. Next up is a re-edit of one of my favourite bands of all time – The Alan Parsons Project. Alan was an engineer (for Pink Floyd no less)-cum-frontman, and the re-edit essentially makes an already great song dancefloor friendly.
Take On Me (The Twelves Remix) - A-Ha
I Wouldn't Want to be Like You (The Twelves Re-Edit) - Alan Parsons Project
In standard style I’ll also throw up a couple of their other newish songs for you all to snatch greedily without saying thanks. Jerks.
Metropolis (The Twelves Remix) - Cicada
Rich Girls (The Twelves Remix) - The Virgins
And why don't I introduce a regular blog epilogue called 'The Vault'? I'll probably forget by next post, but bugger it. Enjoy this little Juggernauts B-Side gem. Jerks.
Jump the Gun - Midnight Juggernauts